Monday, October 17, 2011

Italian Beef Pizzaoli

Italian Beef Pizzaoli

This is a recipe I found online that was originally supposed to be made in the oven using a couple of steaks.  When I read it, I decided to make it in the crock pot with a beef roast...goes a long ways and I like leftovers!!
So, here it is!  Enjoy!!

Italian Beef Pizzaoli
3-4  lb boneless chuck roast
3 TBL olive oil
8 oz. crimini mushrooms, quartered
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced fine
1 tsp oregano
1 TBL sundried tomatoes, oil pack  ** see note
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
1 - 14 - 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 c jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
2 TBL fresh basil, torn into small pieces

Brown the meat on all sides till well-browned.  Place in crock pot.
Mix together all remaining ingredients, except the fresh basil.  Place on top of the meat.
Put on the lid and cook on low for 8 hours.  Add the fresh basil for the last half hour.
Remove from crock pot and "pull," like you would pull pork.  Put back in the crock pot juices and veggies.
Serve over cooked rice.
I think it would also be very good served as an Italian sandwich...on a hard roll with sharp provolone cheese.

**I could not find sun-dried tomatoes in oil, so I bought the dried ones and soaked them overnight in a couple TBL of olive oil.  Seemed to work fine.  And I added the olive oil to the crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment