Wednesday, January 19, 2011

English Muffin Bread

Well, it has been quite a while since I have posted.  The holidays are over and things are getting back to normal...whatever that might be!  And here is a I tried in the past couple of weeks.  A friend mentioned that she was making some...I knew I had to try!  And I am glad I did!  Absolutely wonderful when toasted and spread with a little jam or jelly!
English Muffin Bread


5 c flour, divided
1 TBL yeast
1 TBL sugar
2 tsp salt
1/4 baking soda
2 c warm milk
1/2 c warm water
cornmeal
In large bowl, combine 2 c flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and baking soda.  Add warm milk and warm water and beat on  low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl often.  Then beat on high for 3 minutes.
Stir in remaining flour. (Batter will be stiff)  Do not knead.  Grease 2 - 8"X4" loaf pans.  Sprinkle pans with cornmeal.  Divide dough into pans and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.
Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled...about 45 minutes.  Then bake at 375* for about 35 minutes, until golden brown.  Remove from pan immediately and cool on rack.  Slice and toast.  Makes 2 loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment