Saturday, October 16, 2010

Apple Cider Pound Cake

I have never tasted this cake but there is one baking in my oven even as I post.
The recipe came from my friend, Laurel.  She said it was a good one!  So, I am trying it and so can you!  It smells good and the batter was tasty too!


APPLE CIDER POUND CAKE
3 c. sugar
1 ½ c. butter
6 eggs
3 c. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground allspice
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cloves
1 c. apple cider
1 tsp. vanilla extract


ICING:
½ c. sugar
¼ c. butter
¼ c. buttermilk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. baking soda


In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Stir together all dry ingredients; set aside.  Combine  cider and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients alternately with cider mixture to batter.  Mix until well blended.  Spoon into a greased 10-in. angel food cake pan or fluted tube pan.  Bake at 325 for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until cake tests done.  Meanwhile, combine all icing ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.  While cake is warm, drizzle 1/3 of the icing over cake.  Serve remaining icing over individual cake servings, if desired.




Post Script . . .added the next day . . . this cake is sooo good!  Very moist and just really yummy!

2 comments:

  1. ooh! This sounds like something Jim would love! I made Starbuck's pumpkin scones today to take to church tomorrow. I had to taste one, and they are so good! I will have to pass the recipe along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house smelled so good while it was baking! Yummy! I love fall!

    ReplyDelete